Toledo Zoo & Aquarium
Roto worked closely with EHDD Architects and TJP Engineering on the renovation and re-design of The Toledo Zoo’s historic aquarium building. This Aquarium renovation carefully considered the historic nature of this 1934 facility by respecting its façade and interior “bones,” while making dramatic improvements to the live exhibits, public spaces, and the overall visitor experience.
- New 90,000 gallon Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Exhibit
- New 12,000 gallon Shark & Ray Touch Tank
- New 2,400 gallon Sea Nettle Exhibit
- New 8,000 gallon California Kelp Exhibit
- Increased overall water volume from 46,000 to 170,000 gallons
Our work focused on the design of all live animal exhibits, inclusive of tanks, replicated habitats, and related special features such as surge and wave action devices. Within the constraints of a very tight budget and the Zoo’s desire to maintain the majority of their existing animal collection of over 200 species, we were able to repurpose many existing focus tanks.