Exhibit Builder (Carpentry, Cabinet Making)
- Reports To:
- Production Manager
- Full-time, hourly, non-exempt or independent contractor
- Weekdays, occasional weekend and evening hours required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, but are not limited to:
- Provide fabrication, assembly and finish carpentry support for exhibits, displays, scenic facades and graphic signs using both common and unusual materials as required to satisfy the demands of the project.
- Operate standard shop tools such as table saw, router, chop saw, sanders, band saw and various hand power tools required in the fabrication and assembly of final products.
- Install exhibit structures and devices into final exhibition spaces, both inside our shop and at client locations as required.
- Build scaled models of exhibit pieces and spaces for evaluation using wood, plastics, foam core or similar modeling products.
- Follow all Safety Policies and maintain OSHA compliance through work practice, maintaining records and writing reports as required.
- Keep shop and personal workspace neat, clean, organized and well supplied.
- Serve as an example to other Roto team members in matters of appearance, attitude, and performance. Must demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships and team environment with those contacted in the course of work at all levels, with a focus on quality service to internal staff and external clients, vendors, and subcontractors.
- Support Roto operations through participation in meetings and team functions as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Production Manager and/or Vice President of Engineering and Production.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & ABILITIES:
- Must possess a minimum of 5 years of work experience and training in a cabinet shop or similar fabrication, construction, mechanical or industrial technology position.
- Previous experience as an Exhibit Builder, Master or Journeyman Cabinet Maker, and/or Installer is highly desirable and preferred.
- Must possess cabinet making and fine carpentry skills of cutting, joining and preparing wood, plywood, and various plastics.
- Must be able to read and interpret engineering, production and shop drawings and define parts from those drawings to be able to machine the parts as required.
- Must have a thorough knowledge and a high level of skill with hand tools, power tools, various saws, routers, and drills.
- Experience with bending plywoods, laminates, veneers, solid plastics, adhesives, and many fasteners is required.
- Must have the mechanical ability to integrate various electromechanical devices and apparatus into exhibit casework. The ability to troubleshoot basic mechanical and electrical systems is a plus.
- A good eye for detail and model building experience would be helpful.
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects and work from lifts, ladders and high platforms.
- Ability to work on many projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Inventive spirit, initiative to work alone without direct supervision, and be responsible for timely completion of assigned tasks.
- Occasional travel is required, ranging from 1 to 4 weeks per year.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to HR@roto.com. The subject line of the email should read “Exhibit Builder". We welcome links to examples of previous work that demonstrate the candidate’s building experience.