CNC CAD Drafter & Operator
- Engineering & Production
- Reports To:
- Production Manager, Carpentry & Scenic
- Full-time, Salary
- Weekdays, occasional weekend and evening hours required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, but are not limited to:
- Create structural and mechanical shop drawings, construction specifications, and CNC cut files using industry standard CAD/CAM software.
- Produce machined parts by programming, setting up, and operating CNC machines.
- Manage the schedule for CNC operations to assure parts are produced by specified deadlines.
- Research new techniques, equipment and materials for the purpose of improving efficiency and quality, reducing cost and waste, and developing Roto’s breadth of internal services.
- Coordinate with both internal and external designers, carpenters, metal fabricators and specialty contractors hired to implement large scale exhibit productions under the direction and guidance of the Production Manager and VP of Engineering and Production.
- Communicate with all fabrication team members and the VP of Engineering and Production regarding ongoing projects to maintain direction and ensure production needs are met in the absence of the Production Manager.
- Maintain CNC equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs as necessary, troubleshooting processes, adjusting and reprogramming controls, and sharpening and replacing worn tools.
- Provide assembly and finish carpentry support for exhibits, displays, scenic facades and graphic signs using both common and unusual materials as required to satisfy the demands of the project.
- Operate standard shop tools such as table saw, router, chop saw, sanders, band saw and various hand power tools required in the fabrication and assembly of final products.
- Install exhibit structures and devices into final exhibition spaces at client locations as required.
- Follow all Safety Policies and maintain OSHA compliancy through work practice, maintaining records and writing reports as required.
- Keep shop and personal workspace neat, clean, organized and well supplied.
- Serve as an example to other Roto team members in matters of appearance, attitude, and performance. Must demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships and team environment with those contacted in the course of work at all levels, with a focus on quality service to internal staff and external clients, vendors, and subcontractors.
- Support Roto operations through participation in meetings and team functions as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Production Manager and/or Vice President of Engineering and Production.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & ABILITIES:
- Formal training and/or college course work in a design, fabrication, construction, mechanical or industrial technology field.
- 5+ years of experience in a design, fabrication and/or engineering profession is preferred.
- Ability to create structural and mechanical shop drawings using CAD software. Experience with CAD software such as AutoCad, VectorWorks, Adobe Illustrator with CAD tools is preferred.
- High level of proficiency with industrial CNC routers and associated CAM software packages such as SolidCAM or MasterCAM. Experience with Gerber Composer and/or Gerber ArtPath is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, materials, tools and equipment that are used in the fabrication of interactive exhibit kiosks, scenic facades and shows elements.
- Good working knowledge in carpentry, millwork and cabinet assembly with the ability to build and troubleshoot basic mechanical systems.
- Skilled in the use of a wide variety of hand and power tools.
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects and work from lifts, ladders and high platforms.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Inventive spirit, initiative to work alone without direct supervision, and be responsible for timely completion of assigned tasks.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to HR@roto.com. The subject line of the email should read “CNC CAD Drafter & Operator.” We welcome links to examples of previous work that demonstrate the candidate’s exhibit development experience.